!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Important highlights of the day:
- 5 dead in Serum Institute of India fire; Covishield facility unaffected
- MD Cyrus Poonawalla in a statement and added that SII will will offer a compensation of Rs 25 lakhs to each of the families of the deceased, in addition to the mandated amount.
- Farm Laws: Delhi Police has clearly told farmer unions that they cannot do a Tractor March on 26 January on Outer Ring Road or inside Delhi.
- The total number of persons found positive with UK strain of COVID-19 is 145: Ministry of Health
- Biden unveils sweeping Covid-19 plan in first full day in office
- Uttarakhand reports 162 new corona cases taking the total number of positive cases to 95354.
- Andhra Pradesh reports 139 new COVID19 cases in the last 24 hours, as per State Health Ministry.
- Manipur reported 19 new COVID-19 cases and 43 recoveries today, says State Health Department.
- COVID-19: 117 new cases, one more fatality recorded in J-K
Agriculture minister Narendra Singh Tomar meets Amit Shah ahead of 11th round of talks with farmers
Sasikala, an aide of former Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa, has tested positive for COVID-19: Victoria Hospital, Bengaluru.
India parliament panel questions Facebook on WhatsApp’s privacy terms
- The committee asked why Facebook needed to change WhatsApp’s privacy terms and how it will impact users, a panel member told reporters on condition of anonymity after the meeting.
Delhi: Meeting of Parliamentary Standing Committee for IT with Twitter and Facebook officials is over.
We wish to thank the Parliamentary Committee for giving us an opportunity to appear before them and provide our views. We look forward to assisting the Hon’ble Committee in future as well: WhatsApp Spokesperson
Lalu Prasad Yadav (RJD chief) is stable. There’s an infection in lungs: RIMS
Lalu Prasad Yadav (RJD chief) is stable. There's an infection in lungs.Treatment is going on. This is a kind of pne… https://t.co/WTsIbWANuu
— ANI (@ANI) 1611247685000
Centre must accept farmers’ demands in next round of talks: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda
COVID-19 vaccination: 5,942 people receive shots on day 4 in Delhi; 24 cases of AEFI
China to donate 500,000 Covid-19 vaccines to Pakistan
The meeting is going on, let a decision be made. No such decision has been taken: Bharatiya Kisan Union
The meeting is going on, let a decision be made. No such decision has been taken: Jagjit Singh Dallewal, Bharatiya… https://t.co/nDy01JZFkt
— ANI (@ANI) 1611244403000
PM shouldn’t test farmers anymore. Instead of siding with capitalists, mistake should be realised & apology should be made. Promises to farmers should be fulfilled & Swaminathan report should be implemented. They should bring MSP Bill in this Session itself.
– Abhay Chautala, INLD
National Investigation Agency (NIA) today arrested an active member of a terrorist gang ‘Shahadat is our Goal’ from Cuddalore district and produced before a special NIA court in Chennai, which sent him to judicial custody: NIA
Delhi records 227 fresh cases of COVID-19; death toll 10,782 with 8 new fatalities: Authorities
Haryana: Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) Abhay Chautala met farmers protesting at Masani Barrage at Delhi-Jaipur Highway in Rewari earlier today.
Maharashtra Deputy CM tweets
Fire brigade has done good work. As per my info, CM will also visit the site tomorrow. The place where COVID vaccin… https://t.co/OZ62ZMVOb9
— ANI (@ANI) 1611242248000
Maharashtra reports 2,886 new COVID-19 cases, 3,980 discharges, and 52 deaths today
No proposal of Govt will be accepted until & unless they repeal the laws: Farmer leader
It's been decided that no proposal of Govt will be accepted until & unless they repeal the laws. In tomorrow's meet… https://t.co/GkjOmUVsD6
— ANI (@ANI) 1611241183000
145 people infected with UK variant of COVID-19 in India
Protesting farmer unions hold marathon meeting ahead of talks with government
- A day before their eleventh round of talks with the government, protesting unions leaders held a marathon meeting on Thursday to discuss the Centre’s proposal to suspend the three contentious farm laws for 18 months and set up a joint committee to find an amicable solution in the interest of the farming community.
- Sankyukt Kisan Morcha, an umbrella body of farm unions leading protests at several Delhi border points, held discussion over the government’s latest offer at the Singhu border.
- A farmer leader said that the Morcha started its meeting around 2.30 pm on Thursday and it is expected to last till late evening.
Statement From Cyrus S. Poonawalla, Chairman & Managing Director, Serum Institute of India
“Today is an extremely sorrowful day for all of us at Serum Institute of India. Regrettably, there were losses of lives in the fire that broke out in our under installation facility situated at the Special Economic Zone at Manjri. We are deeply saddened and offer our condolences to the families of the departed. In this regard, we will be offering a compensation of INR 25 lakhs to each of the families, in addition to the mandated amount as per the norms. We would like to extend our gratitude to everyone for their concerns and prayers in these distressing times.”
Andhra Pradesh reports 139 new COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours, as per State Health Ministry.
PM Narendra Modi offers condolences:
Anguished by the loss of lives due to an unfortunate fire at the @SerumInstIndia. In this sad hour, my thoughts are… https://t.co/AQuF2tqZUs
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 1611238352000
A campaign to address vaccine hesitancy & misinformation was launched by Union Health Minister & MoS Health today. Digital media package with impactful messages from key technical experts, who have take COVID vaccine, is the principle behind this.
– Additional Secretary, Union Health Minister
Farm Laws: Delhi Police has clearly told farmer unions that they cannot do a Tractor March on 26 January on Outer Ring Road or inside Delhi. Unions insistent on their plan. More meetings expected on this.
Noida: 4,200 health workers expected to get COVID-19 vaccine on Jan 22
Biden unveils sweeping Covid-19 plan in first full day in office
- President Joe Biden’s administration unveiled Thursday its plan to turn the tide on Covid-19 in America, where 400,000 people have died, as the US leader tackled his first full day in the White House.
- Officials said Biden would immediately sign 10 executive orders and other directives to jumpstart the national strategy.
Dubai halts live entertainment amid surge in virus cases
CM K Chandrashekhar Rao has announced that the state government has decided to implement 10% reservation to Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) in the state: Telangana Chief Minister’s Office (CMO)
The provisional figures for today, up to 6 pm – vaccination sessions were organised in 27 states and UTs and a total of 1,92,581 beneficiaries were vaccinated today.
– Manohar Agnani, Additional Secretary, Union Health Ministry
Pakistan violates ceasefire in Jammu & Kashmir’s Poonch, Army jawan killed
Volkswagen faces EU fine for missing 2020 emissions targets
215 terrorists eliminated by CRPF in 2020: DG
As many as 215 terrorists were eliminated by the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) in Jammu and Kashmir in 2020, including Riyaz Naikoo of terror outfit Hizbul Mujahideen, who carried a reward of Rs 12 lakh.
UP Police arrives at the residence of producer of Tandav, Himanshu Mehra
Mumbai: A team of UP Police arrived at the residence of producer of #Tandav, Himanshu Mehra to serve him notice. Up… https://t.co/aAEhEEusU5
— ANI (@ANI) 1611234957000
5 killed in Serum Institute plant fire, Covid vaccine facility safe
- At least five persons suffocated to death as a major fire broke out in an under-construction building in a plant of global vaccine giant, the Serum Institute of India (SII).
- Health Minister Rajesh Tope and Pune Mayor Murlidhar Mohol announced that five persons, including one woman, had perished in the blaze and their bodies were found during the cooling operations.
- Another four persons were rescued from the blaze which erupted on two upper floors of the SII building which was being readied for a BCG vaccine plant.
Five charred bodies recovered from Serum Institute of India building where fire broke out in afternoon: Fire official
CEO-Owner of SII Adar Poonawalla tweets:
We have just received some distressing updates; upon further investigation we have learnt that there has unfortunat… https://t.co/9EZZraQdLe
— Adar Poonawalla (@adarpoonawalla) 1611232060000
The five people who died, were perhaps the workers at the under-construction building. The cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained but it is being speculated that welding, that was going on at the building, caused the fire.
– Pune Mayor Murlidhar Mohol
Four people were evacuated from the building but when it came under control, five bodies were found by our jawans.
– Pune Mayor Murlidhar Mohol
Maha CM monitoring situation after fire breaks out at SII, Pune
CM Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray is in touch with the Pune Municipal Commissioner and is taking complete on-ground upd… https://t.co/K4tn1sUy1Y
— CMO Maharashtra (@CMOMaharashtra) 1611224941000
I’d like to reassure all govts & public that there would be no loss of COVISHIELD production due to multiple production buildings that I’d kept in reserve to deal with such contingencies at Serum Institute of India. Thank you very much Pune Police and Fire Dept, says Adar Poonawalla
As per the information we’ve received, the fire is under control. There have been no casualties so far. The fire had not broken out at the COVID vaccine unit.
– Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray, on fire at Serum Institute of India
S.Africa to pay big premium for AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine from India’s SII
South Africa will pay $5.25 per dose for COVID-19 vaccines from the Serum Institute of India (SII) – well above what others, including developed nations, are paying for the same shots, local newspaper Business Day reported on Thursday.
PM Modi to interact with beneficiaries and vaccinators of Covid vaccination drive in Varanasi on 22nd January, via video conferencing:
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will interact with beneficiaries and vaccinators of Covid vaccination drive in Varanas… https://t.co/on0A1fq4il
— ANI (@ANI) 1611229158000
Fire broke out at Manjri plant. Production wasn’t done there but preparation was on to begin it at a later stage. Fire fighting op is on, building has been vacated but we’re re-checking. Fire will be doused in an hour. No problem at vaccine plant/storage.
– Pune Police Commissioner
Adar Poonawalla, CEO-Owner, Serum Institute of India on incident of fire at SII’s Manjri plant:
Thank you everyone for your concern & prayers. So far the most important thing is that there've been no lives lost… https://t.co/u0ywnDqlC1
— ANI (@ANI) 1611227413000
Maha board Class 10, 12 exams to be held in April-May: Maharashtra School Education Minister Varsha Gaikwad
India hands over 2 mn vaccine doses to Bangladesh
Facebook case adjourned to Jan 27th for regular hearing
Fire breaks out in Serum Institute, 3 evacuated
- Three persons were evacuated from a building in the Serum Institute of India’s Manjari premises here after a fire broke out there on Thursday, police said.
- Deputy Commissioner of Police Namrata Patil told PTI the fire broke out at 2.45 pm on the fourth and fifth floor of the SEZ 3 building in the Serum Institute premises.
Centre approves construction of over 1.68 lakh houses under PMAY-Urban
HAL today successfully test-fired a Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon from the Hawk-i aircraft off the coast of Odisha
HAL today successfully test-fired a Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon (SAAW) from the Hawk-i aircraft off the coast of Odi… https://t.co/myPa64hPtc
— ANI (@ANI) 1611224888000
Indonesia reports daily record COVID-19 deaths, hospitals strained
India gives 1 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine to Nepal
Fire at building site for India’s Serum Institute, vaccine output not hit
A big fire has broken out at a plant being built for the Serum Institute of India (SII), the world’s biggest vaccine maker, but it will not affect production of coronavirus vaccines, a source close to the firm said.
Serum Institute fire
Fire broke out at an under construction building: ANI
Serum Institute fire
Vaccines and vaccine manufacturing plant are safe: ANI
Facebook India in SC
Delhi House panel cannot compel us to appear before it. They can criticise us but cannot compel us.
Fire at Serum Institute
#WATCH Maharashtra: 10 fire tenders present at Serum Institute of India in Pune, where a fire broke out at Terminal… https://t.co/oqdtWgH8iS
— ANI (@ANI) 1611222486000