!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
SC issues notice to Centre, 8 states on plea of Twitter India against multiple FIRs
The Supreme Court Thursday sought a response from the Centre and eight states including Karnataka and Assam on a plea of Twitter Communications India Pvt Ltd seeking quashing of multiple FIRs lodged against it for allegedly promoting a tweet on ‘Khalistan’.
MMRDA metro car shed construction: Bombay High Court orders to state government to maintain status quo as on October 5
Ship C-413 rescued 7 fishers from distressed a boat about 21 nautical miles from Okha, Gujarat
Boat was partially submerged due to water ingress into the engine room: Indian Coast Guard
India, Australia condemn use of terrorist proxies for cross-border terrorism
Condemning the use of terrorist proxies for cross-border terrorism, India and Australia on Thursday underlined the urgent need for all countries to take “immediate, sustained, verifiable and irreversible” action to ensure that no territory under their control is used for terrorist attacks and to expeditiously bring to justice the perpetrators of such attacks.
68.43 pc, 58.64 pc voter turnout in 7th phase of panch, sarpanch bypolls in J-K
- The State Election Commission said on Thursday said Panch by-elections recoded 68.43 per cent voter turnout, while 58.64 per cent voter turnout was recorded in Sarpanch by-polls.
- As per State Election Commissioner (SEC) KK Sharma, by-polls for Panch vacant seats were held in 438 vacant seats in the seventh phase.
Churu in Rajasthan recorded minimum of 2.2 degrees Celsius temperature today, says IMD
Delhi records minimum 3.5 degrees Celsius temperature at Delhi Ridge: IMD
Maharasthra: NCB issues notice to filmmaker Karan Johar, seeking details of parties he organised
He has been asked to send his response & produce documents/electronic evidence, with regard to the video in circulation, given by Maninder Singh Sirsa with his complaint.
Jubilant FoodWorks adds biryani to its menu
- Jubilant FoodWorks, which operates the Domino’s Pizza and Dunkin’ Donuts restaurants in India, has entered the biryani restaurant business under the brand name Ekdum.
- Jubilant’s entry into space promises to heat up competition for existing players like Behrouz Biryani, Biryani Blues, Biryani by Kilo and The Biryani Project
- Reports ET Now
Defence Ministry clears 11 advance warships for Navy, 6 surveillance planes for IAF
The Defence Ministry had recently approved the scrapping of a tender for acquiring five Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels from Anil Ambani-owned Pipavav Shipyards after long delays in the delivery schedule. The numbers have now been added to the Next Generation Offshore Patrol Vessels project and instead of six, 11 of them would be acquired through a tender process under Make in India, defence sources said.
PM Modi to deliver the keynote address at ASSOCHAM Foundation Week 2020 on 19th December at 10:30 am via video conferencing
PM will also present the ‘ASSOCHAM Enterprise of the Century Award’ to Ratan Tata, who will receive the award on behalf of the TATA Group.
NHAI chairman gets six months extension
Sukhbir Singh Sandhu has been given six months extension as the chairman of the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), a Personnel Ministry order issued on Thursday said.
CM Arvind Kejriwal indulged in cheap theatrics, unparalleled hypocrisy by tearing copies of farm laws; Delhi govt among first to notify one of the legislations
– Akali Dal leader Harsimrat Kaur Badal
Former AASU leader Lurinjyoti Gogoi elected president of newly-floated Assam Jatiya Parishad
TDP chief Chandrababu Naidu challenges YSRCP govt to hold referendum on plan for 3 capitals in Andhra Pradesh
He vowed to quit politics if people voted in favour of it.
PM requests all to read Agriculture Minister’s letter
कृषि मंत्री @nstomar जी ने किसान भाई-बहनों को पत्र लिखकर अपनी भावनाएं प्रकट की हैं, एक विनम्र संवाद करने का प्रयास… https://t.co/dE3YPmZ66F
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 1608215148000
PM Narendra Modi to address thousands of farmers tomorrow in Madhya Pradesh via video link
35 lakh farmers to get Rs 1600 Crore as relief for damage to their crop this year. CM Shivraj Chouhan to be present at one such big gathering in Raisen where 20,000 farmers will be present, reports ET Bureau.
Mrs Bectors Food Specialities IPO a huge hit among investors; subscribed 198 times
- Mirroring massive investor response, Mrs Bectors Food Specialities initial public offer was subscribed a whopping 198 times on the last day of subscription on Thursday.
- After Burger King India, this is the second Initial Public Offer (IPO) this month to have received over subscription in a few hours of opening for public subscription.
SC reserves judgement on cross appeals against National Company Law Appellate Tribunal order restoring Cyrus Mistry as Tata Sons executive chairman
Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan writes to PM Modi regarding investigation in gold smuggling case
He writes, “Enquiries should do not become roving and fishing expeditions leading to the total loss of credibility of central investigation agencies”.
SC says it’s not satisfied with work done by Commission for Air Quality Management in NCR & Adjoining Areas
Rapido expands 3-wheeler auto services to 11 more cities
- Ride-hailing app Rapido on Thursday announced the expansion of its three-wheeler auto-rickshaw services to 11 more cities, spreading across the National Capital Region and five states.
- The platform, which currently caters to auto-rickshaw and bike ride-sharing segments, also said it is looking to onboard over five lakh auto drivers in the next six months.
US jobless claims rise for second straight week to 885,000, 23,000 above previous week’s upwardly revised level
EU conditionally approves Google acquisition of smartwatch maker Fitbit
SC admits RIL’s plea in securities trading case, asks to deposit Rs 250 cr
SC says it will not interfere with the farmers protest against three farms laws
“We’re of the view at this stage that the farmers’ protest should be allowed to continue without impediment & without any breach of peace either by the protesters or police,” it says.
Some farmer groups have spread rumours and misinformation. It is my job to dispel them come from a farming family.
– Agri Minister Tomar in 8-page letter to farmers
Agri Min writes, “Misunderstanding has been created among some farmers’ unions regarding these laws”
It is our expectation further discussions will help both sides reach agreement on mutually acceptable solution
– MEA on Sino-India border standoff
Delhi HC dismisses pleas of BJP leaders Manoj Tiwari and Vijender Gupta for quashing summons in defamation case by Manish Sisodia
Agri Minister Tomar writes 8-page letter to farmers
आप विश्वास रखिये, किसानों के हितों में किये गए ये सुधार भारतीय कृषि में नए अध्याय की नींव बनेंगे, देश के किसानों को… https://t.co/yVuFGL2Nkw
— Narendra Singh Tomar (@nstomar) 1608209651000
Delhi CM is the new chameleon, he can just change colours without qualms: BJP MP Meenakshi Lekhi
Centre's 3 Farm laws were notified in Delhi Gazette on 23rd Nov. Now, they're tearing copies of same act in Delhi A… https://t.co/SM5jQzQgld
— ANI (@ANI) 1608208772000
Sugar production up 61 pc till Dec 15 of 2020-21 season at 73.77 lakh tonnes
- Sugar mills have produced 73.77 lakh tonnes of the sweetener till December 15 of 2020-21 marketing year (October-September) as against 45.81 lakh tonnes in the corresponding of the previous year, Indian Sugar Mills Association (ISMA) said in a statement.
- As per the data, sugar production in Uttar Pradesh rose to 22.60 lakh tonnes from 21.25 lakh tonnes, while output in Maharashtra increased to 26.96 lakh tonnes from 7.66 lakh tonnes.
Seven agreements signed between India and Bangladesh
- During interactions between PM Narendra Modi and Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina, seven agreements were signed in the areas of hydrocarbon, culture, agriculture, high impact community development projects, and conservation of wildlife: Smita Pant, JS, Bangladesh-Myanmar, MEA
- Sharing of water of Teesta and other rivers and issues related to fisheries were discussed: Smita Pant, Joint Secretary, Bangladesh-Myanmar, MEA
Proposals cleared by def ministry include buying airborne early warning, control systems for IAF; offshore patrol vessels for Navy
Defence Ministry approves proposals to procure equipment worth Rs 27,000 crore from domestic industry
Zee Ent to buy film production ops from Zee Studios
Reports ET Now quoting agencies
In our committee today, we took a decision about the case in the Supreme Court. We’ll consult with four senior SC lawyers – Prashant Bhushan, Dushyant Dave, HS Phoolka and Colin Gonsalves.
– KV Biju, National Coordinator of Rashtriya Kisan Mahasangh
Gazipur border (Delhi-UP border) is closed for traffic coming from Ghaziabad to Delhi due to farmers protests. People are advised to take an alternate route for coming to Delhi: Traffic Police
Ministry of AYUSH and Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports have announced formal recognition of Yogasana as a competitive sport: AYUSH Ministry
Yogasana will be introduced as a competitive sport in Khelo India, National and University Games: Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju
Karnataka cadre IAS officer SS Nakul appointed as private secretary to Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
Former COO of Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC) arrested today in TRP scam: Mumbai Police
SC must direct the govt to put these three laws on hold: Ashok Dhawale
Supreme Court must direct the govt to put these three laws on hold & to immediately call parliament session to repeal these laws. After that, a committee can be formed for other things like MSP: Ashok Dhawale, All India Kisan Sabha
Delhi Assembly today rejected all 3 Farm laws & have appealed Central govt that it should take back these black laws. More than 20 farmers have died during 20 days of protest. On average, one farmer is getting martyred daily in this movement.
– Arvind Kejriwal, Delhi Chief Minister
What was the hurry to get Farm Laws passed in Parliament during a pandemic? It has happened for 1st time that 3 laws were passed without voting in Rajya Sabha…I hereby tear 3 Farm laws in this assembly & appeal Centre not to become worst than Britishers.
– Arvind Kejriwal, Delhi CM
CM Arvind Kejriwal addresses a special session of Delhi Assembly called to discuss farmers’ agitation.
“I want to ask Centre how many sacrifices farmers will have to make, to get their voices heard,” he said.
J&K: First boat ambulance service to begin soon at Dal Lake in Srinagar.
“I got the idea of an ambulance boat when I was diagnosed with COVID-19. We’ll have medical equipment on the boat & also get a toll free number. It was a real necessity for the locals,” says the boat owner.
PSLV-C50 carrying communication satellite CMS-01 lifts off
- ISRO’s trusted polar satellite launch vehicle carrying the space agency’s latest communication satellite CMS-01 lifted off from the spaceport here on Thursday.
- The satellite is envisaged for providing services in Extended-C Band of the frequency spectrum covering India, Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshadweep islands.
- As the 25-hour countdown, which began on Wednesday at 2.41 hours, concluded, the launch vehicle PSLV-C50 on its 52nd mission blasted off at 3.41 pm from the second launch pad at the spaceport, ISRO said.
West Bengal: TMC leader Jitendra Tiwari tenders resignation from the post of Chairman, Board of Administrators, Asansol Municipal Corporation
PSLV-C50 lifts off successfully from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota
#PSLVC50 lifts off successfully from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota #ISRO #CMS01 https://t.co/9uCQIHIapo
— ISRO (@isro) 1608199988000
Discussing farmers’ agitation
Delhi: Union Home Minister Amit Shah, Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar and Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal reach BJP headquarters to attend a meeting with party general secretaries to discuss farmers’ agitation.
India pledges USD 1 million to the World Anti-Doping Agency
Taking a step further to ensure an atmosphere of clean sport globally, India has pledged a sum of USD 1 million to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) towards the global agency’s scientific research budget: Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports
Delhi: Protesting farmers at Tikri border (Haryana-Delhi border) say they’re ready for more talks with govt but won’t give up protest.
Pakistani cricketer Mohammad Amir has confirmed his retirement from international cricket to the PCB.
Stuck in UAE, families urge Indian Govt to rescue them
- Hyderabad: Three families urge the Indian government to rescue & repatriate their family members, who are stuck in the United Arab Emirates after being cheated for work by a travel agent.
- “My sister was offered a job in a beauty parlour in Dubai but was made to do household work. She was beaten up & was hospitalised later. I request the govt to help my sister come back here,” says kin of a victim.
SC is right that issue should be resolved soon: Tikait, BKU
We’ll discuss the future course of action in our Panchayat. We’ve not blocked roads, barricades have been put up by police. SC is right that issue should be resolved soon. We’ll go if we’re called. Govt wants amendments while we want them to take back Farm laws: Rakesh Tikait, BKU
French President Macron tests positive for COVID-19
- French President Emmanuel Macron has tested positive for COVID-19, the presidential Elysee Palace announced on Thursday.
- It said the president took a test “as soon as the first symptoms appeared.” The brief statement did not say what symptoms Macron experienced.
- It said he would isolate himself for seven days. “He will continue to work and take care of his activities at a distance,” it added.
PM Modi will address Farmers’ conferences to be held across Madhya Pradesh on Dec 18 at 2 pm via video conferencing: CMO
Punjab cabinet gives nod to charging fee for new vehicle model registration
Punjab cabinet today gave the nod for charging process fee for the registration of a new model of a motor vehicle or its variants-CNG/LPG kit approval or electric vehicles in the state. The decision was taken at a virtual meeting of the cabinet chaired by CM Captain Amarinder Singh: CMO
Office of the Raksha Mantri’s (RMO) statement on the meeting of DAC
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh chaired the meeting of Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) today clearing the acquisition proposals worth Rs 28000 crore of which acquisitions worth Rs 27000 crore is to be sourced from the Indian industry.
- 5 cases valued at Rs 25000 crore are approved under indigenous design development & manufacture category. Particularly noteworthy are the DRDO designed & developed AEW&C systems for the Air Force & modular bridges for the Army.